New Libki Feature

I’m still making alot of updates to Libki lately, the newest feature is a ‘Clients’ view. On the Clients page of the web administration, you can see all the machines running the Libki client, and whether or not someone is logged into the client. I imagine this will be far more useful than limiting the User’s view to only logged in users.

I will be rolling this version out in production at the Linesville Public Library, most likely tomorrow.

In addition, a reservations system will be coming soon. It is in the planning stages. If anyone has any suggestions for features, don’t hesitate to let me know!


Libki Updates

Hey All,

I’ve been hard at work getting Libki into a form that is more suitable for the general public to use. First, I’ve moved the code from SourceForge’s subversion repo to GitHub, at least for now.

I’ve finished porting the code from using PostgreSQL to MySQL. In addition I’ve been working on the startup scripts that disable hotkeys that could be used to bypass LibKi on Windows clients. These scripts were made with AutoHotKey, a wonderful piece of FOSS that was designed for creating Windows shortcuts, but has grown so fast it’s possible to write complete graphical programs using only an AutoHotKey script. These scripts are located in the libki/client/src/windows directory, as they only function on Windows. There are four, each one is slightly different to better suit individual needs.

  • libki-keylock – Disables alt-tab, ctrl-alt-del, and many other commands that can be used to gain unauthorised access. With this version the key combo ctrl-alt-shift-L will pop up a password dialog that can disable the script. The password is contained in the file /etc/libki/keylock
  • libki-keylock-nopwd – The same script without the password unlock feature.
  • libki-keylock-startbutton – The same as libki-keylock, but this version also disables the start button, so only shortcuts on the desktop can be used to launch programs.
  • libki-keylock-startbutton-nopwd – The same as above, but without the password unlock feature.

For each of these scripts, there is an executable, and a corrosponding .ahk file which contains the original AutoHotKey script code in case someone would wish to modify the scripts further.

That’s all for now. More updates will be coming soon.

More LibKi Updates!

I just completed the work necessary to run the LibKi client on Windows! The instructions are here. We are already running the LibKi kiosk software on about 10 Ubuntu thin clients, with around 50 to 75 unique user’s logging in each day.

The system has worked very well, the few issues we have are connected to the fact that I have customized our particular LibKi installation to integrate with the Koha ILS. By doing this, we are able to have a single username and password for each patron, for both Koha and LibKi. Those issues have been resolved, and we have not had any problems since.

Coming Attractions: LibKi – The Library Kiosk Management System

I’ve nearly completed a new project for our library system. I have named it LibKi, short for Library Kiosk, though I wish I had gone with KiLock, for the humor.

LibKi was written to take some of the load of handling the public computer systems off our librarians. The libraries currently use sign in sheets and have to keep track of who is on which computer. LibKi allows a patron to login, and a timer keeps track of how much time they have left. I’ve written a script to import our patron data from Koha each night, and to reset every patrons allotment to 30 minutes a day.

The entire system is written in PHP. The daemon is cli-only PHP. The web interface is built on CakePHP and allows librarians to alter a patron’s minutes, log them out, disable their account and send the user a message. The kiosk client is written in PHP/Gtk+ and should run on any OS with Gtk support. I’ve tested it in KDE and XFCE, and it work’s great.

I’ll be putting up a new section for LibKi on this site soon. But for now you can peruse the code at sourceforge here:

Happy Holidays.